This year marks the 25th anniversary of National Safety Month! Since launching the NSM campaign in 1996, the National Safety Council sponsors an annual observance to promote safe behaviors in the workplace.
Use this month to motivate your employees and focus on improving safety culture—now is more than important ever. According to the most recent work-related fatality statistics, preventable deaths have been steadily increasing since 2010 and 2019 had the highest total in more than a decade. With the rise of workplace deaths and a global pandemic on our heels, it’s important for employers to properly protect their workers.
“As organizations navigated the biggest workplace safety hazard in a generation, traditional safety risks never paused, and far too many people did not make it home to their loved ones at the end of their day,” NSC President and CEO Lorraine M. Martin said. “This year, we aim to inspire and support the EHS community to make people’s lives safer on and off the job.”
Weekly Topics for National Safety Month 2021
This year’s theme is ‘Year of the Safety Hero’ and each week focuses on a different safety topic. Use these topics to help guide your toolbox talks and safety meetings!
Week 1 – Prevent Incidents Before They Start
Start the month off by taking a proactive approach to safety! Take an assessment of the workplace + look at recent near misses to identify risks and implement hazard controls before an employee is injured.
Week 2 – Address Ongoing COVID-19 Safety Concerns
Earlier this month OSHA reaffirmed its commitment to keeping workers safe by issuing an emergency temporary standard for protecting health care workers. It’s also important as employers welcome staff back to build trust around the vaccine and promote mental health.
Week 3 – It’s Vital to Feel Safe on the Job
Physical safety is really only one aspect needed to feel safe—workers should also feel safe at their job without any fear of retaliation or harassment.
Week 4 – Advance Your Safety Journey
At the end of the month, it’s time to look at the future of your safety program with continuous improvement in mind. Your workplace safety will never be “perfect” and there are always opportunities for improvements to be made. As the Kaizen philosophy believes, small changes will lead to major improvements over time.
You can find more information on participating in National Safety month on their webpage! Also, check out our resource hub for workplace safety for inspiration.
- National Safety Month & Safe Actions for Employee Returns
- Celebrating National EMS Week 2020
- National Electrical Safety Month 2020: Electrical Safety Wherever You Work
- National Electrical Safety Month 2021: Connected to Safety
- Observing National Public Health Week 2021
- Celebrating National Forklift Safety Day 2021
- Observing National Public Health Week 2020
- Observing National Forklift Safety Day 2020
- Social Distancing Tools: Wall And Floor Signs– creativesafetysupply.com
- National Electrical Code (NEC)– creativesafetysupply.com
- Quality, Health, Safety, Environment (QHSE) Management Systems– creativesafetysupply.com
- Staying Lean During a Pandemic– creativesafetysupply.com